Re: [Gnumed-devel] dob bug

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] dob bug
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:31:25 +0100

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:05:11AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > Does it make sense to add cups-pdf (see below) to the dependencies for
> > gnumed-
> > client ?

General remark: We as the packagers trust your experience as author +
user whether something makes sense to add or not.  I would definitely
vote against a Depends but a Recommends as a workaround for some other
problem seems fine to me.

> Certainly not as a dependancy. This is strange anyways,
> since gnumed-client:
>
>       Recommends: xsane (>= 0.991), extract, ntp | ntpdate,
>       aeskulap | amide | dicomscope | imagej | xmedcon,
>       iceweasel | www-browser, openoffice.org-writer,
>       python-uno, wgerman-medical, xdg-utils, kprinter |
>       gtklp, texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-latex-extra,
>       freediams
>
>       Depends: python (>= 2.4), python-support (>= 0.90.0),
>       python-wxgtk2.8, file, gnumed-common (= 0.8.7-1),
>       gnumed-doc (= 0.8.7-1), python-enchant,
>       python-egenix-mxdatetime, hunspell | aspell | ispell |
>       myspell-dictionary | hspell, python-gnuplot,
>       texlive-latex-base
>
> GNUmed calls gm-print_doc which in turn calls either
> kprinter (does not exist anymore) or gtklp. The latter in
> turn is a GUI for CUPS based file printing.

Does anybody know a replacement for kprinter?  This would be
relevant for the next package (probably 0.9.0).

> gtklp does not - by way of its dependancies - enforce any
> printer being configured. That seems fine at first until one
> realizes that if there are no printers configured it will
> fail at startup :-)

Somebody should verify (in a bug report severity minor) whether this is
intended behaviour or just a mistake.  If it is really intended adding a
"Recommends: cups-pdf" makes perfectly sense so at least the GNUmed
users can be sure to have any configured printer.  I personally do not
see why not all gtklp users would profit from this - but that needs to
be clarified.  Would you as the person who just observed the problem be
willing to report it against gtklp (describing the real consequences
seems to be easier for you as for me)?

> I wonder whether anything can be done about that (at the
> gtklp level, that is) and whether a bug/wishlist item should
> be filed with gtklp.

I think so (but it should be checked whether such a bug just exists and
is perhaps tagged wontfix).

> In the meantime I would think gnumed-client should
> "Recommends: cups-pdf", indeed.

I hope it is fine to do this for 0.9.0 and not immediately for the
current package.

> And, indeed, vbanait is correct, please document this in the wiki.

I guess this remark is targeting at the GNUmed wiki.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de