Re: GSEncodingName

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GSEncodingName
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:50:53 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

>> I would like to request that we keep this IMHO very useful addition
>> unless there is some new API that replaces this functionality which  I'm
>> not aware of.  At least I'd like to see a deprecation cycle despite  the
>> comment in the header, which I admit I was not aware of until now.
>

> I didn't realise this was used outside the base library.
>
> I've no strong objection to putting it back, but I do want to
> minimise/remove non-standard APIs (just declaring them private is not
> good enough).
>
> Would it really be a great hardship to just use the numeric values of
> the string encodings?
> I don't know the current state of GDL2 ... I guess if you dislike  using
> a number there is no gui tool for manipulating models and you  edit
> plists by hand?

This is part of a string we expected the user to actually enter as a
text into a text field/cell or even in text view in plist format in
EO/DBModeler (the application used to manipulate the models).

I guess we could also provide an additional interface with a combo box
cell but it would be pretty inconsistent with the way other keys of the
same connection dictionary are handled.  (One NSTextFieldCell of a table
view would need to be replaced automagically when a certain key is
entered into another cell.)

Also current models contain these strings and they would have to be
adapted.  I think that I'd rather add the mapping to GDL2 if it's not
provided by base in the future.

Cheers,