Re: GSEncodingName

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GSEncodingName
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 07:17:25 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

> I've done an fgrep of the entire subversion repository, and googled  to
> try to wind any other mention on the web.
> The only place I can find this function used is once in gdl2
> It seems likely that either it's not actually very useful, or people
> have refrained from using it because it was commented as private.

Possibly.  My gut feeling is that there are many very useful extensions
that won't be find like this due to:
a) the lack of publicly available applications
b) the fact that many people aren't aware of its existence

But I may be wrong.

> Anyway ... as it's used in only one place, why don't I just implement
> the function there (gdl2/EOAccess/EOAdaptor.m)?
> Any objections?

Thanks, I've just done this.  My main issue was not that it would be
hard to implement, it was a matter of maintaining the mapping together
with the NSStringEncoding enum.

Cheers,