gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:29:36 -0800

attached is just sort of an experiment in getting rid of GNUstep.sh to compile stuff don't know if i expect anything to come out of it really, but figured i'd send it
anyways :P

it uses pkg-config to store the environment variables so you'd need to setup
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to wherever
adds 2 configure options
--with-pkgconfig-path=whereever
--with-bootstrap-path=somewhere

for the rationale behind 'bootstrap-path' see
info -f make -n "Include"
where it talks about the makefile search paths.

you can set this to wherever and make and pass -I on the command line
to make if you want it installed somewhere outside of the builtin make search path

so if you set up the PATH to tools,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or whatever) to lib dirs
and PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the gnustep.pc

then change include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
to include gnustep.make

which just gets the GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES from pkg-config then
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

now obviously people who want to have multiple GNUsteps installed
or GNUstep installed into non-system places like ~/ will have a bit more fiddling
to do than they do now,
both will need to fiddle with their PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
and install into ~/ (or something) will need to add -I to make or make an alias for make -I..

so whether this simplifies things or complicates things is a good question... in theory given the right install locations and what not you wouldn't have to do anything so it could
simplify those...

<pkg-config-stuff.diff>