Re: Moving to GPLv3

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Moving to GPLv3
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:05:53 -0700 (PDT)

Fred,

I'm going to respond to these one by one:

> Status of back
> ==============
>
> Tools
> -----
> font_cacher LGPL2 and includes directly a file with LGPL2

Is the included file that is LGPL2 assigned to the FSF?

> gpbs GPL2, includes a file with LGPL 2 which could be removed without
> loosing functionality

Same concern as above... if the answer is no, then we should consider removing
the code.  I need to ask the FSF what we need to do for libraries or code that
is GPLv2 that is in the GNUstep repository, but is not assigned to the FSF.

> Source
> ------
>
> Mostly our own LGPL 2 code with copyright by the FSF.

okay.

> In x11 we link with xdnd.c which has LGPL2 or later but copyright:
> "Copyright (C) 1998  Paul Sheer".

Hmmm... this one we need to discuss.

> The files from wraster also have LGPL2 or later and copyright:
> "Copyright (c) 1997-2002 Alfredo K. Kojima".

Are these files that were taken from WindowMaker?  I was of the understanding
the WindowMaker is also a GNU project, but I could be mistaken.

> For the old xdps backend we have one file with
>"(c) Copyright 1991-1994 Adobe Systems Incorporated".

I believe, at this point, we can declare the xdps backend pretty much dead.
It relies on DGS which is no longer under development.   I won't turn this into
a discussion of the merits of such a system...  that's really for another
thread.

> Status of gui
> =============
>
> Tools
> -----
>
> All GPL2 or later and copyright by FSF.

Excellent.

> ColorPickers
> ------------
>
> All GPL2 but should maybe be LGPL2. Depending on how we view bundles.

I believe that this is correct.  Bundles can be viewed like libraries.  I'm not
sure how the FSF would interpret this since they are essentially linked at
runtime.  I believe it's better to err on the side of caution and make it LGPL.

> Model
> -----
>
> nib2gmodel is LGPL2 or later. Perhaps this should be GPL2.
> The rest is also LGPL2 or later.

Okay.

> Source
> ------
>
> NSBezierPath contains a bit of code based on code with LGPL2 or later
> from Libart_LGPL - library of basic graphic primitives
> Copyright (C) 1998 Raph Levien.

I don't think this will be an issue, but I'll look into it.

> The rest still needs to be checked.

Very good, excellent work... thanks.

> My suggestion would be to put everything in gui and back into LPGL even
> tools and bundles. This will make the reuse of code a lot easier.

I would like to see what the other maintainers say with respect to doing this
before making any final decisions to universally move everything to LGPL.

I will need to get into the specifics of some of the cases that you mention to
determine if everything is okay for the move.

Thanks very much,
--
Gregory Casamento