Re: AppKit (Win32) generals questions

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: AppKit (Win32) generals questions
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 12:50:51 +0200

Just a quick answer, there are better experts on this list.

Am 08.05.2008 um 12:12 schrieb Thierry DELHAISE:
I want to use it as a Portable Framework along differents platform, like Trolltech QT, wxWidget, or GTK.

This is what GNUstep is supposed to cover and there are examples of applications running in Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, Win32 and, with a sister of GNUstep, in PDAs.

How a GNUstep for Win32 application is supposed to have a "Native win32" look AND native cooperation with the OS if it's possible ?

This is supposed to be done with theming. One project using theming extensively is Étoile, for example: <http://www.etoile-project.org/>

Beside this general question, I 've read something about "theme's management" work in progress, but does theming will allow Standard Panel to look(and work) as native one ? If not, what is the planed solution if any ?

It's a snap to build any panel you like with Interface Builder. GNUstep/OpenStep/Cocoa has it's own standard panels, though, which are pretty similar to what you get on Windows. It depends on how close you want to be to the original.

And about cooperation, how about the drag and drop, clipboard managment interactions between win32 applications ?

GNUstep runs helper applications for that. I don't know how well they work with the native clipboard, though.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/