Re: Commit r28657

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Commit r28657
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:13:31 +0200

Am 22.09.2009 um 14:21 schrieb David Chisnall:

On 22 Sep 2009, at 11:44, Wolfgang Lux wrote:

Unfortunately, this breaks compilation for everyone who is using the
old runtime or gcc's libobjc directly (at least up to gcc 4.3) because the file objc/runtime.h is not present. Could you please add an autoconf test to include objc/runtime.h only conditionally or avoid including the
header altogether.

This seems odd to me. Every version of GCC's libobjc I have seen (versions 1.6 to 3) has included an objc/runtime.h file. Looking at the file in GCC's svn[1], it has a copyright date of 1993, so it's been around for a while. What platform are you using? Does it have the other objc headers installed? Presumably it is finding objc/objc.h and objc/objc-api.h, or other parts of GNUstep would not be compiling correctly...

I first noticed this issue after an svn up on my old PowerBook running OS X where I compile GNUstep with Apple's gcc 4 and use the old Objective C runtime from GNUstep svn. There is indeed a file objc/runtime.h, but it doesn't get installed. I've then checked both gcc 4.1 and gcc 4.3 built with MacPorts on OS X, also NetBSD 4.0 and 5.0, SuSE Linux 11.1, also my (a bit dated) GNUstep MinGW installation. For all of them the respective objc directory looks as
follows:

NXConstStr.h    encoding.h      objc-decls.h    sarray.h
Object.h        hash.h          objc-list.h     thr.h
Protocol.h      objc-api.h      objc.h          typedstream.h

Only my FreeBSD 7.2 installation does have a runtime.h.

Wolfgang