Re: What happened to the code freeze?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: What happened to the code freeze?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:30:36 +0100

Looks like we have more commit right now during code freeze then we have at normal times. I would suggest that we give up the idea of doing more tests. As long as people cannot stick to a code freeze even for a week,

I thought we were in "feature freeze" - ie, all commits must be bug fixes as opposed to implementation of new features. A typical pre-release phase to iron out bugs before
a release. :-)

Instead, you're suggesting we're in "code freeze" - meaning no commits at all ? Ie, nothing gets done for weeks ? I've never seen a project do that. Anyway it would be easy enough to do, we just all have to stop doing anything. Hmmm. Not sure why that would be useful ? ;-)

Having many commits during a "feature freeze" is very good as it is supposed to mean
that a lots of bugs are being fixed. :-)

With about 150 bugs open in the bug tracking system, we probably need quite a few
weeks of feature freeze / bug fixing to get a good release. :-)

If I am the one who misunderstood and we really are in "code freeze", please let me know. ;-)

Probably Gregory should clarify.

I personally suggest we stay in a "feature freeze / bug fixing only" phase for a while until the bug count is down and the commits slow down because there are no more bugs to fix :-)

Finally, it is quite possible you were referring to some specific changes that are new features instead of being bug fixes - presumably in the gui ? If so, you should IMO feel free to point these
out, and even revert them.

Thanks