Re: What happened to the code freeze?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: What happened to the code freeze?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:50:33 +0100

Having many commits during a "feature freeze" is very good as it is
supposed to mean that a lots of bugs are being fixed. :-)

As far as I can tell none of the recent commits in gui or back is
related to any reported bug. [...]

Ok - thanks! - that clarifies the problem then :-)

I'm sure individual committers would probably disagree or have good arguments why their changes should have gone in - it sounds like we need some simple process to resolve the disagreements and decide what goes in and what doesn't go in at this stage ? ;-)

As far as I understand, you're in charge of GUI, so maybe you (and/or Gregory) could propose how you want to manage that ? Maybe patches for GUI must be approved by you before being
committed during the feature freeze ?

As an outsider, it does seem that GUI needs a few weeks of feature freeze and bug fixing, so I wouldn't
give up on that just because it needs to be organized somehow ;-)

(btw sorry, I don't mean to interfere - I'll disappear from the discussion of the GUI release freeze after this email)

--

For the part I work on (gnustep-make and core makefiles) anyone can make any small fixes they want, but for substantial changes please talk to me before committing (this is always the case though). :-)

gnustep-make is quite ready for the 2.4.0 release, except that:

* there is this long-standing issue of whether we should link all libraries or not when linking executables. I was planning on making that configurable at ./configure stage (with some reasonable, OS-dependent defaults). It would be good to do this before a release, as it might change how things are linked. On the other hand, I have a feeling it's too late for 2.4.0, so I'll probably do it as the first thing after this release instead.

* I haven't looked at how gnustep-make works on Apple at all. I wanted to make sure the apple-apple-apple settings and compiler/linker flags are meaningful and usable - at the moment, I don't think they are as many people reported you have to tweak them in non-obvious ways to use it. If I get some time, I'll try to do this
before the release.

* I also wanted to look at the Cygwin port, but that may not have time before the release.

Thanks