Re: Moving CoreBase into Base

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Moving CoreBase into Base
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:16:39 +0200

Le 21 sept. 2010 à 15:20, Quentin Mathé a écrit :

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 19.09.2010 21:53, schrieb Quentin Mathé:

> To keep the compilation time as it is, we can pass
> -DCF_EXCLUDE_CSTD_HEADERS in Base, Gui and Back and continue to include > the C headers as we currently do it. We just need to include string.h in
> few more places if we do that.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Up to now we made sure that GNUstep only
includes the headers we really need and we should keep it that way for
the internal code at least.

I attached a patch that restores the old compilation time for Base. Before committing it, I just wanted to know whether the way I did it was ok…

This patch is incorrect.
I didn't realize that base.make is installed in Library/Makefiles/ Additions and imported by various gnustep-make targets such as framework. So this results in having -DCF_EXCLUDE_CSTD_HEADERS automatically passed to every project that links gnustep-base.

The right fix would be to put ADDITIONAL_CPPFLAGS += - DCF_EXCLUDE_CSTD_HEADERS in config.mak.in rather than base.mak.in. Alternatively we can explicitly define DCF_EXCLUDE_CSTD_HEADERS in every subprojects of Base, Gui and Back but this looks less clean and more tedious.

Quentin.