Re: GNUstep, Google Summer of Code, and an idea

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep, Google Summer of Code, and an idea
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:54:10 +0200

Great ideas! Would you mind to put them into our Wiki? http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Summer_Of_Code_Ideas

In the Opal case you of course meant to intergrate it into "back" not "base". And even for that I am not sure whether this is the right thing to do. Opal should be our replacement for CoreGraphics and should be usable without gui, whereas back is only usable with gui (and vice versa). And to elaborate on this subject a bit more, although this surely doesn't belong in this GSoC mail, back implements not only drawing and event handling, it also has to deal with windows. At the moment we have two main classes there one for window and event handling and one for the drawing, there is a tiny interface between these two where one provides the drawing surface for the other, splitting the code there should be fairly easy. Currently I don't see the benefit of this split, as even a CoreGraphics or Opal based drawing library would need most of the other stuff we have in back to implement at least part of the DisplayPS interface we need to provide.

Fred