Re: GNUstep, Google Summer of Code, and an idea

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep, Google Summer of Code, and an idea
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 22:56:11 +0100

On 20.03.2011 20:46, Denis Washington wrote:
I have seen that the GNU project has been accepted for this year's
Google Summer of Code, but the ideas list does not list anything related
to GNUstep. Does that mean that the GNUstep project will not mentor any
students?

He is right, we already are rather late in the GSoC time line[1] and we didn't even contact the GNU people [2] and told them that we want to participate. I think Adam sorted that our last year. Maybe it still isn't to late to apply with GNU? Anybody willing to contact them? Greg, Adam, Lars? I may not be the best person for that this year, having stolen half the GNU dinner reservation at FOSDEM :-)

Next we will have to come up with a list of proposed projects. For this we may just reuse the list from last year [3]. And perhaps add the implementation of UIKit.

As for mentors, we may again reuse last year's list [4]. David already stated that he is willing to do it again and I hope to find time to do so as well. We should try to have plenty of mentors and assign the one that is best suited for the task. Not sure whether lasts years Google SoC accounts will still work or if the mentors all need to sign up again.

Cheers
Fred

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline [2] http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline
[3] http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Summer_Of_Code_Ideas