Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:15:08 +0100

Hi,

I don't remember about this and agreeing on that. We spoke about 2.95 because it had serious limitations and limited c99 compatibility which was fine to drop and I agreed on that because the inconvenience of maintaining it outweighed the benefits eventually.

I'd be against dropping 3.x support. What's the problem with 3.x vs. 4.x? 3.2 especially was essentially the "second best" portable option after 2.95. Portability of gcc got quite worse after 3.4.

Given the past code in gnustep, I never had any problems with gcc3, the only problems where with 2.95.

Riccardo

PS: additionally I think that the current gui and back release should still be 2.95 compatible, they are the natural match for the past base release. Especially since the past releases of gui and back are unusable with current base. So a coehrent "core" should be released.