Re: CoreBase toll-free bridging

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Re: CoreBase toll-free bridging
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:09:46 +0100

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:42:53 +0100, Fred Kiefer wrote:
Having decided that I googled once more and found this article:

http://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2010-01-22-toll-free-bridging-internals.html

Which just means, I could have saved myself a lot of reasoning, by
doing this first :-) And this article even points to one with more
details. I think this is the way to go. One downside here is that this
means we will need each CoreBase function twice an internal version
that contains the current implementation and an external, that checks
the passed in reference before calling the internal one. And we will
need to figure out a way to do the message send without objc_msgSend()
for the old libobjc runtime.

CF_OBJC_FUNCDISPATCH0 is something I've already seen in certain calls in corebase. Now I fully understand the motivation behind it. Uff, lots of work ahead!

And it doesn't use objc_msgSend(), it uses class_getMethodImplementation().

--
Luboš Doležel