Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 10:14:06 +0200

Dne 29.5.2015 01:27, Stefan Bidigaray napsal:
Sorry for being late to the discussion, yet again!  I haven't
committed much recently, but I still wanted to weight-in.

So, reading everyone's reply I get the impression that feel that GIT
really isn't all that great if you're not using it with a more
powerful host like GitHub.  Is this true?

No, not true. Whatever GitHub offers is merely added value (issue management, wiki) and not important for Git itself at all. At my work, we use Git for everything nowadays, with repositories on Bitbucket, but we don't really use any of Bitbucket's features; we simply stick with JIRA for issue management and planning, and Crucible for code reviews.

Personally, I appreciate mostly the fact that GitHub is like "social media", i.e. it makes it very easy for others to contribute and see what you offer.

As for the move to Savannah, I think it's been long overdue.  It has
offered everything GNUstep needs for quite a long time.  And having
all the development stuff (bug tracker, source code, etc) in one place
has some obvious advantages.  That being said, if we move to another
source code hosting site, lets pick one that can also serve all out
needs instead of trying to piecemeal it ourselves.

Having had experience with many sites like Savannah, SourceForge, GitHub, Bitbucket, etc., I'd greatly recommend the latter ones (esp. GitHub) rather than Savannah. Especially if Savannah only offers one repo per project - that's totally against the idea of Git.

--
Luboš Doležel