Re: GNA Shutting Down?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNA Shutting Down?
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 19:24:23 +0000

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 21:45, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I must have missed something. Why GitHub as the main repository? We
> had a very similar discussion before, but without the time pressure and
> there, as far as I remember, we all agreed to move to git on Savannah, plus a
> mirror on GitHub and some SVN access to that.

Allow me to change my mind ... I've had a few years using git now, enough to
have a properly informed opinion:
It's trendy and is good for huge projects, but for a small project like GNUstep
is overly complex and hard to understand/use relatavie to subversion so, to
gain any benefit. we need to have it as easy to use as possible.  That means
hosting it on a popular site where the best GUI tools (eg SourceTree, though
I'm sure people like lots of other tools) work seamlessly.  Unfortunately
Savannah just isn't integrated with the best new tools/systems.
So, while I'd really prefer to use Savannah as a free software hosting site, I
now believe it would be a poor option if we hope to encourage new
users/contributors;  moving to git on Savannah would put an obstacle in the way
of contributors.
I think we'd want a github master, rgularly copied to savannah so we have a
presence there, or possibly a dual-master system (though it's not clear to me
that git really supports dual master).