Re: GNA Shutting Down?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNA Shutting Down?
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 21:06:26 +0000

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 15:54 Giah de Barag <address@hidden> wrote:
On Feb 5, 2017, at 14:50, Gregory Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:

> … this is going to happen and we are moving to github.  Savannah will be an official mirror and you can commit there if you want.  Once I have set everything up it won't matter where you commit. …

I respect this decision.

Could you please review:

* How will GNUstep ownership be changed by the move?

It won't be.

* How will copyright assignments be changed by the move?

They won't be.

Let me be clear.  Changing hosting does not effect the legal ownership of the project, which remains with the FSF.  This is a question of hosting not of copyright.

The FSF's ownership, in general IS something I would like to discuss, but not in this thread.

* How will the process of submitting improvements be changed or improved by the move?

If by this you mean committing changes it will vastly improve them.

Alternatively, If you mean the copyright assignment process (which is what I suspect you meant) that is and always has been subject to the FSF's process.  They allow electronic signing now so things should be easier, but again.  That has nothing to with us changing hosting.

* When will the move happen?

This week or next.  Once I'm done with the scripts to migrate the repo and then with the mirror scripts to mirror to Savannah we should be good to go.  Once that happens I will instruct the guys at gna to put our repo in read only mode.

* Can you clarify what is actually shutting down and what changes we will be *forced* to make?

This was covered at the beginning of the thread, but I'll briefly recap:  gna.org is shutting down. It's doubtful that they will be able even to have read only access available once they do for all mailing lists and repos.

So, in short, gna is going bye bye. Fully and permanently.

Mange takk...

GC
--
Gregory Casamento