Re: GNA Shutting Down?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNA Shutting Down?
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 05:01:36 +0000

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 23:08 Svetlana Tkachenko <address@hidden> wrote:
This is seeming to make you upset and I don't know why

I'll explain why it's bothering me. It's been bothering me for almost a decade and it's time to let this out. This project has mired for nearly 10 years. I have been to conferences to spread the word.  Taken jobs with and convinced companies to use our stuff: testplant and apportable being notable among them.

In all of this experience I have found that there are a few things which hold us back:

1. Purely political motivations - they are not useful. They only hold things back.
2. Ludditism and illogically holding on to the past in the quest for some personal idea of "perfection"
3. Resistance to change of any kind.

One or all of these things has constituted a brick wall to me in one form or another since I took over as lead many years ago.  I took the so-called lead developer role not because I felt as though I was better than anyone...  goodness knows there are so many excellent people on this project that it's impossible to count.  All of whom I have the utmost respect for.   I took the "lead" role because I saw many obstacles in the way of GNUstep's progress.   I see it as my job to clear away those obstacles both externally and internally.

What you interpret as me being upset is only because I am very passionate about this project and always have been.

1. In some circumstances the sort of thing I was offering which you derided as "liaison" becomes useful.

I'm simply not used to dealing with the FSF or RMS by proxy.  I've never needed to.  I wasn't deriding the idea only being direct about my feelings.

2. I believe a copy becomes a fork at the point a first minimal change is made.

I have many changes in mind that, if I ever decided to fork, would be put into effect very quickly.  One of which is to start to replace the existing default look, but that is another discussion.

3. Don't know what's going to happen with the migration - lost track. I
can understand each sentence in isolation, but not the intent of the
whole process or its stages.

I'm not sure why.  The plan has been clearly discussed in this thread.

I can see that everyone is working together and is not willing to expose me to the process.

I am more than willing to expose you to the process. There are no secrets here.

I will try to stop interfering with your wonderful work.

Please have a nice day/time and a successful move.
Thanks. GC
--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/