Re: GNA Shutting Down?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNA Shutting Down?
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 01:06:28 +0000

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 19:40 Svetlana Tkachenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> This was covered at the beginning of the thread, but I'll briefly recap:  gna.org is shutting down. It's doubtful that they will be able even to have read only access available once they do for all mailing lists and repos.

Perhaps someone is willing to copy over their projects (and probably even users or permissions) over to another instance? I've forwarded the gna! email to the gnu savannah group. The gna folks have about another 2-3 months before pulling the plug.

Thank you for that information.

I believe we are required to continue using a savannah or a gitlab officially as github is nonfree and can't be added to official gnustep docs.
We have a mirror on github now. Once we are on Savannah it will be bidirectional.  We can call Savannah the master if that satisfies the FSF political agenda.  Additionally, the whole point of the previous discussion was to underscore the point that we can commit from either place.

Using Savannah is untenable due to its shortcomings as previously described in this thread.

I have seen nothing from RMS saying we can't mention where we are mirrored in GNUstep docs.  If we did I would be shocked as this would restrict access to free software.    I would like to hear directly from him on this subject.

Another option is for us to consider this a fork.  It would simplify a number of things for us if that were the case.

GC.
--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/