Re: GNA Shutting Down?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNA Shutting Down?
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 16:27:09 -0500

Richard,

I am in agreement with your conclusion but I would like to address a couple of points...

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2017, at 21:45, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I must have missed something. Why GitHub as the main repository? We had a very similar discussion before, but without the time pressure and there, as far as I remember, we all agreed to move to git on Savannah, plus a mirror on GitHub and some SVN access to that.

Allow me to change my mind ... I've had a few years using git now, enough to have a properly informed opinion:
It's trendy and is good for huge projects, but for a small project like GNUstep is overly complex and hard to understand/use relatavie to subversion so, to gain any benefit. we need to have it as easy to use as possible.

​I want to alleviate a concern which seems to arise every time this is mentioned: I am not interest in git because it is "trendy" or "cool" I am interested in git because it is useful, it easily manages branches and merging (much more transparently than svn), and also... it is what students who are coming out of Universities and High Schools are being taught to use.​   Look at Harvard and other Universities and you will see that many of them have courses on git and use it as the main source code management tool. This is important... because when you want developers to join you have to use the tools they are used to.  Additionally, there are more sites and software devoted to integration with git than with subversion.  So things such as source code review and making comments on source code such that it can be viewed in context... sorry guys, but emails are hard to track, can be missed and are just not good enough for this job... some disagree, I know, but this is a fact.   We use this at my current job on gitlab and it's VERY VERY useful when asking a question or proposing an improvement.

That means hosting it on a popular site where the best GUI tools (eg SourceTree, though I'm sure people like lots of other tools) work seamlessly.  Unfortunately Savannah just isn't integrated with the best new tools/systems.

​I share this concern.  Git is shoehorned in (and badly at that) at Savannah.
So, while I'd really prefer to use Savannah as a free software hosting site, I now believe it would be a poor option if we hope to encourage new users/contributors;  moving to git on Savannah would put an obstacle in the way of contributors.

​Also agreed.
I think we'd want a github master, rgularly copied to savannah so we have a presence there, or possibly a dual-master system (though it's not clear to me that git really supports dual master).

​Agreed.