gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Preparing for release

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Preparing for release
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 13:07:42 -0500

address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> Does anyone running on a Mac have any theory or insight about what's
> going on?  Greg Troxel's reports seem to indicate that the first open
> of Mac tty devices is doing something to them that is making later
> attempts to use them fail, but also that it is not the recent change to
> blocking I/O. I've been hoping we could see before-and after stty
> reports, but nobody has generated any.

I don't think it's a first open issue.  I tested also with a ublox 4
eval board (old, from 2008), and it seems to basically work, even
stopping/starting gpsd.  Something seems funky about ublox6 in
particular.

I now think that the sometimes-works-initially behavior is not about
serial port reset issues but about catching the device at the right time
in power up sequence.

I also don't think it's necessary or reasonable to declare the Mac as
"unsupported".   It's really just that there is a bug with at least a
device or two and we don't know how bad the issues are, and it may be
that the bug is in mac code instead of gpsd.   So just saying that seems
far more useful.   I will try a few more devices.