gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Ubuntu 15.10 will have python3 as default
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:48:52 +0800

Folks,

See: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2015-June/038799.html

Ubuntu will shift to python 3.5 as the default for 15.10.  Python 2.7 will be available, but will have to be explicitly called.

Scons (neither 2.3.4 available now, nor 2.3.5 upstream) support python3.  There is some ongoing work, but no firm date I can find.

There are two issues:
  1. scons does not work if called with the python3 interpreter
  2. scons needs to call python functions, in its build process, that may be python3 (eg gpsd build scripts)

Even if scons is released in the next few weeks to support python3, what does it mean to our build dependencies?  build.txt says:

     |Python 2.x, x >= 6 | some code is generated from python scripts

Data points, with /usr/bin/python linked to /usr/bin/python3.4:
  1. "scons" fails
  2. "python2 /usr/bin/scons" succeeds
  3. "python2 /usr/bin/scons check" fails (95 out of 95 errors)
--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane