gpsd-dev

Re: master fails to build/check

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: master fails to build/check
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 16:46:16 -0800

Yo Ladislav!

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 01:37:56 +0100
Ladislav Michl <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 03:36:48PM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> [...]
> > You are correct, decades.  Gpsd only requires C99, and a few
> > extensions. So now you see why gpsd insists on what was common
> > decades ago, not the newest shiny thing, soon to change again.
>
> Well, it is two decades people realized polluting toolchain is a bad
> idea.

"mei bang fa".

> I hope it won't change again.

Change is the only certanty.

> Besides gpsd builds on scons and
> python A language which will cause a lot of troubles with python-2.7
> deprecation. Conservatism looks a bit funny in this light.

Uh, scons works just fine with python 2.6 to 3.8.  That is the value of
conservative programming.

> > Two words: Slowlaris and RHEL.
>
> I do not see how those systems relate to mixing toolchain and library
> stuff into single directory.

Then you have studying to do...

> > So how is gpsd supposed to know where to look?  Some folks cross
> > compile for many arches.  Gotta keep that stuff separate somehow.
> > Magic just does not work.
>
> and sysroot as gpsd is using it makes that separation harder not
> easier. I'm not against that, I do not want to change that, just do
> not buy this argument.

Uh, you don't buy that magic does not work?

> > I don't remember anyone saying you had to use sysroot?  Somehow
> > yocto makes it easy.  Look at what they do.  Talk to them.
>
> I can see what yocto does and I'm doing more. I do not see the point
> asking on yocto mailing list for a stuff they omitted.

Once again, no specifics.  Can't help without specifics.

> [...]
> > Good, we agree on that.  But without exact details of what is not
> > working for you, hard to give you good advice.
>
> A good advice was already given, thank you.

Not good enough if you still have issues.  Although I'm still not sure
exactly what they are...

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588