gpsd-dev

Re: master fails to build/check

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: master fails to build/check
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 15:13:07 -0800

Yo Ladislav!

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 23:58:51 +0100
Ladislav Michl <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 01:54:35PM -0800, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Yo Ladislav!

> > >  - sysroot is indeed toolchain --sysroot=
> >
> > Good.  We agree that sysroot is sysroot, as defined by GNU gcc and
> > ld.
>
> What a pleasant way to explain sysroot is sysroot, as defined by
> GNU gcc and ld. I would say this deserves short notice somewhere,
> as it might easily happen someone else would resist to believe
> there is build system out there really setting toolchain sysroot.

Feel free to suggest specific doc improvements.

> > > and all libraries gpsd
> > > depends on are discoverable using pkg-config.
> >
> > Not even close.  Forget you ever thought that.
>
> I will not, sorry.

Then please keep your thoughts that do not match facts private.

> > I'm gonna guess that you do not want the host systemd tickled when
> > you cross compile?
>
> Obviously.

The code you mentioned was gated by env['systemd'].  Maybe
instead "env['systemd'] and env['target']"?

> >  Or??
>
> Or there are people out there wanting tickle host systemd while
> cross-compiling?

Seriously?  Seems to me you are either buliding gpsd for the present
hot, or for a target host, but not both at the same time.  What is the
use case for that?

> > Lost me.  Is that a patch?  Current code?  What?
>
> This is current SConstruct code.

Still lost me.

> > The place the cross-dev stuff is.
>
> Just toolchains headers and libraries, it is insane to put anything
> else here ;-)

Maybe, but it is existing practice.  If you look at the email archives
you will see many rants on the insanity of existing practice, but we
can't change it, only adapt to it.

You gotta have some way to separate out the stuff used by the host, from
stuff that is for the target.  There are other ways that scons also
uses.  Use what works for you.

So, instead of spending time bike shedding, do you have a real problem
here that needs solving?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588