gpsd-dev

Re: RINEX update

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: RINEX update
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 19:15:30 -0700

Yo John!

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 21:58:47 -0400
John Ackermann N8UR <address@hidden> wrote:

> In my spare (ha!) time, I am tempted to take the RINEX 2.11 generator
> I built for the Ashtech and generalize it.  Right now it's too tightly
> bound to the main program, but it won't be much work to make it
> standalone.

Or, just modify gpsrinex to do RINEX2.  gpsd already decodes the raw
data from many the receivers it supports.  So almost all the work is
done.  Only 3 functions need to change to go from RINEX 3 to RINEX 2.

Sadly RINEX 2 only support GPS and GLONASS, so obsolete for
most newer receivers.

I ran into an ex-owner of Ashtech.  He was shocked I had even heard
the name.  Spend $10 and get a modern receiver.  By modern standards the
Ashtech is poor.

> It almost certainly doesn't meet anyone's coding standards, and is
> probably fairly bare-bones for the RINEX implementation, but the nice
> thing is that I have all the argparse options included for the header
> fields, and a function to build the header.

If it is in C, send it along now.  I could lift the options into
gpsrinex.  No cared before this month.

If you still need RINEX 2, there are lots of free RINEX 3 to 2 converters.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588