gpsd-dev

Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:03:15 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

>> That works fine.  What I meant is a scheme to e.g. generate man pages
>> when making a distfile, and then when building from the distfile using
>> those pre-built man pages if hte tool isn't there.
>
> Are you sure?  Please verify your procedure because that should work
> fine.

Probably, what happened is that my previous distfile didn't have them
either because of not having asciidoc* when I made it.

So I did this again.  I confirmed that the unpacked tarball has built
man pages and the dates make sense with when I built my tarball:

  -rw-r--r--  1 gdt  wheel  33709 Feb  1 18:02 gpsd.8
  -rw-r--r--  1 gdt  wheel  31707 Jan 29 11:24 gpsd.adoc

and so on.

After unpacking, I made two changes to my (working with man build)
pkgsrc setup:

  In SConscript, look for asciidoctor26fail, so it won't be found
  (because that seemed easier than uninstalling it).

  pass manbuild=auto

The check for asciidoctor fails, and adoc_prog is Null.  Everything
builds but the as-shipped built man pages are not installed and I can
see this in line 2310 of SConscript that the install is conditioned on
the build.

This is what I mean about schemes to maybe build maybe not and install
pre-built things from distfiles being tricky.

When you  make a tarball on a system with asciidoctor, and unpack and
build it on a system without, and install, do you get installed man pages?