gpsd-dev

Re: Request new serial name support for ubxtool and pygpsclient

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Request new serial name support for ubxtool and pygpsclient
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 11:33:21 -0800

Yo Danny!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:02:36 +0000
"Kuo, Danny" <danny.kuo@intel.com> wrote:

> I am new to this community, sorry that my first email is about to
> request feature support to one of Intel NIC which build-in a GNSS
> module.

We are all here because we had an itch to scrath.  Welcome.

> Intel NIC E810-XXVDA4T is for 5G Time Sync purpose, and one of the
> ITU-T spec is T-GM which need a precision time from satellite. This
> NIC build-in a u-Blox ZED-F9T controller.

Is that the correct model number?  Intel sas that is a 25Gb Ethernet
Adapter with SFP28 ports.  I see no GPS there.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/192560/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810xxvda4.html

> The NIC driver originally use serial name /dev/ttyxx to identify GNSS
> serial interface, it is working fine with gpsd, stty, ubxtool and
> pygosclient.

What commands do you send?

If that E810 hass a GNSS, then do you have doc on that?

> After we change serial name to /dev/gnss0,

Why would you do that?  How would you do that?

> the stty and ubxtool fail
> to open this device,

Care to share the output on failure?

> and the pygpsclient fail to connect to this device.

What is pygpsclient?  If gpsd is connected then no other conenctions are
allowed.

> The new serial name /dev/gnssx is going to upstream to RHEL
> 9.x with kernel 6.x, that is the reason Intel change driver to
> compliant with RHEL.

Uh, what driver?  Almost no GNSS receivers need a special driver.
The only GNSS driver I know in the upstream Linux Kernel is a joke.

> We think(not 100% sure) this issue is due to ubxtool and pygpsclient
> not support the new serial name(/dev/gnssx),

ubxtool does not care what file you give to the -f option, as long as
it can send data.  File, pipe, serial port, all good.

I have no idea what pygpsclient is.

> we would like to know
> how to change gpsd/ubxtool/pygpsclient code to make it support
> /dev/gnssx.

No changes needed.

> Or, if the gpsd community can help to support the new
> serial interface /dev/gnssx that will be appreciated. 😊

We are happy to support any new weirdness, as long as it is documented.
The reason gpsd does not support the Qualcomm interface is because it is
not documented.

> See below error message.
> [cid:image003.png@01D947C0.67F73F10]

Dunno what program that is.  It is not from gpsd.

> [cid:image002.png@01D947BF.90AAF970]

In the future, cut/paste, no screen shots.  They are hard to read or
annotate.

"failed to open serial port" is pretty basic.  That means a simple
open() failed.

What is the output (as text, not screen shot), run as root of:

ls -l /dev/gnss0
lwhw

I only need the E810 output from the lshw.

> please refer to below link for Intel NIC spec detail.
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/211608/intel-ethernet-network-adapter-e810xxvda4t/specifications.html

Nothing on there about any GNSS, that is an SFP28 Network Adapter.

> Thanks in advance for your help.
> If you need more information or a live demo, please let Intel know,
> we can arrange a meeting for further discussion.

Private consultations are for paying clients, so let's keep it on
this list.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588