Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [Groff] .if !dTS - GNU extension?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:40:41 -0400

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:56:52 +0200
Ingo Schwarze <address@hidden> wrote:

> It can't work when you pipe by hand.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Ingo.  I wrote the simplest
possible test, and it turned out to be too simple!  Einstein, right?

>  4. Let the man(1) steering program fork and exec less(1).

I'm using NetBSD 7.0, and my /usr/bin/man doesn't work as you
describe, at least not for pdksh and a few others I tried.

> When stdout is not a terminal ... indexing isn't attempted, and
> when called as mandoc(1) rather than man(1), it isn't at all.

I'm pretty sure my man invokes mandoc as "mandoc".  Would that be a
problem?

--jkl