Re: GNU eqn clarifications and reforms (was: EQN - special words)

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: GNU eqn clarifications and reforms (was: EQN - special words)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 16:15:00 -0500

[self-follow-up]

Yet another of my self-clarifications/corrections...

At 2023-05-31T22:18:04-0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At any rate, "chartype" seems to be just syntactic sugar for iterated
> "type" commands, as follows.
>
>         chartype "CLASS" abc
>
> becomes
>
>         type "CLASS" "a"
>         type "CLASS" "b"
>         type "CLASS" "c"
>
> where a, b, c, are ordinary or special groff characters.

The foregoing isn't _quite_ syntactic sugar.  In GNU eqn, a `type`
assignment applies only to the subsequent expression; `chartype`
assignments are persistent for the rest of the life of the eqn process,
until overridden.

I got this right in my updates to the eqn(1) page but managed to goof it
here on the list.