guix-devel

Re: Status update on 1.0

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: Status update on 1.0
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:48:14 +0100

Hello,

> Mathieu, any idea?  Do you think we could detect it when kmscon fails?
> Or simply avoid it?

For the record, I choose kmscon because it has a good unicode support
contrary to linux VT.

kmscon supports three renderers (on paper):
* fbdev
* drm2d
* drm3d

So I guess the AMD gpu does not provide support for any of those
renderers. If kmscon fails "nicely" by noticing that no renderer can be
use, we could:

Write an installer-vt-service-type service that would:
* Try to run kmscon
* Fallback to mingetty if kmscon start failed

Then the installer would detect on what type of vt it is running and
force "manual install" if it's running on mingetty.

If for any reason kmscon does not exit and hangs,
the installer-vt-service-type could:
* Read some files in sysfs to see if kmscon will be apt to run
* Run kmscon or mingetty

Pierre, could you try to run "kmscon" on your system, from a running
distribution, to see what happens ?

Mathieu