guix-devel

Re: We need your feedback of the documentation videos!

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: We need your feedback of the documentation videos!
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 23:58:04 +0200

Thank you for all your reviews!  Feel free to change some things later on:

I will push tomorrow morning with a clear mind. :)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:25:27AM -0500, sirgazil wrote:
> Now, personally, if I had the time, I would have designed the videos page in
> a similar way to the blog page,

I have *not* done this, only the link is no longer yellow.

> and also done something like this:
>
> […]
> * Add a "media" app that would hold the definitions for videos and
> screenshots (the latter would move from the base app).

I have done this, but most of the screenshot-related CSS remains in
website/static/base/css/index.css.

> […]
> * Add a new entry to the Help page, next to "GNU Guix Manual", with the same
> "Instructional videos" title.

I have *not* done this yet, as I am bad at drawing icons for the help
page.  I could ask a friend of mine or have you do it.

>  > P.S. I would like to request a review of this functions I would like
>  > to add to website/apps/aux/lists.scm:
>

> Or maybe you could factor out the "sample" procedure defined in the
> "index-builder" of "(apps packages builder)". I think Wurmus added
> that one for the Packages home page.

Thank you for the suggestion!  However, I believe it would sample the
same element twice.  That is unlikely to happen for packages but a
problem for screenshots.  I will probably retain my take-random
procedure, even though it is not as concise as it should be.

>  > Also I want to ask, the “license” header says:
>  >
>  > ;;; GNU Guix web site
>  > ;;; Initially written by sirgazil who waves all
>  > ;;; copyright interest on this file.
>  >
>  > sirgazil, shall I replace “waves” by “waives”?  I believe this is a
>  > typo.
>

> That's a typo, yes. Although, if I didn't do anything in that file,
> I think that line should not be there, but I'm not a lawyer.

IANAL, but I copied code from the files you worked on, so you have
copyright.  I will fix the typo in all files then.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:32:24PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> skribis:
> > Ludo, shall I push this evening
> > with videos coming from the Internet Archive (archive.org)?
>
> Sure!  I haven’t tried building the web site with the patches (do check
> “guix build -f .guix.scm” before pushing), but the changes LGTM
> overall, and long overdue!
>
> We can keep the videos on archive.org for now, I guess they won’t
> disappear overnight, and eventually we can move them to guix.gnu.org
> when one of us can allocate time for that.
>
> Thank you for moving forward on this topic!

OK, thank you!

Regards,
Florian