guix-devel

Re: We need your feedback of the documentation videos!

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: We need your feedback of the documentation videos!
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 11:25:27 -0500

Hi, Florian :)

---- On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 07:05:04 -0500 pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
<address@hidden> wrote ----

 > OAOn Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 11:00:34PM +0200, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
 > wrote:
 > > On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 10:13:59PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
 > > > […] if you wanted to integrate them on
 > > > the web site, I think that’d be great.
 > > >

 > > I suppose the “Discover Guix” section on the homepage should advertise
 > > Guix System and the videos, maybe in buttons next to the ALL PACKAGES
 > > button.  I will look at making a proposal next week.  I am nowhere
 > > near as creative as the website’s authors, so maybe others will think
 > > of better designs.
 > >

 > Do you have in mind something like the attached patch?  It does not
 > yet add all of the videos; this is more proof of concept-like.

I think that these changes and a blog post about the availability of these
videos would work well to get the videos to the public as soon as possible.

The only thing I'd recommend against would be the yellow headers in the videos
page because they don't satisfy the WCAG 2.0 level AA contrast requirements
(one of my goals with the website design was to follow level AA guidelines at
least).

Now, personally, if I had the time, I would have designed the videos page in a
similar way to the blog page, and also done something like this:

* Add a "media" menu to the navbar with "screenshots" and "videos" items.
* Add a "media" app that would hold the definitions for videos and screenshots
(the latter would move from the base app).
* Add a "tracks" field to the "video" record and a corresponding "track" record
type for future subtitles.
* Add three video previews to the home page, below the screenshot previews,
maybe using a heading like "Instructional videos".
* Add a new entry to the Help page, next to "GNU Guix Manual", with the same
"Instructional videos" title.

 > > > Especially since we now host the web site by ourselves, we could also
 > > > host the videos there, so that can be pretty easy to do.
 > > >
 > > > WDYT?
 > > >
 > > > Ludo’.
 > >
 > > I cannot judge whether audio-video.gnu.org is better or worse than
 > > berlin.
 > >

 > Putting the video files in the guix-artwork git repository may be
 > wrong, so the patch does not do that yet, instead still referencing
 > archive.org which seems wrong too.

Is there any ethical issue with using archive.org that I'm not aware of? I
suggested Laura to upload videos there...

In any case, since it is already possible, it would be great to use Guix own
hosting resources.