gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 9th (asko)

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 9th (asko)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:03:14 +0200

Asko Soukka wrote:

So, before hurrying with the next deadline I
would like to get to know with current client (changes from 0.6.X, where
are all keybindings, views, dimlists...).

There are three important views: row, column, and vanishing. And then, there's the xubuoy view from the demo which is currently less generally useful.

The key bindings are in gzz.view.DefaultBinder at this time. I'm thinking about re-writing that part to modularize.

The dimlists are kept in Fallback, but are not very useful :(, because there is no way to create new dimensions.

Changes from 0.6: A terrible lot ;-)

Guess, there's still good stuff
to convert from 0.6.X (eg. views)...

Your mind* views would be cool (and also, in related news, the ball-and-stick cell view). If you do re-implement them, please consider following Ted's rule that interpretation of a corner list should stop when another "left" connection is encountered:

  A - B
  |   |
  |   |
  D - E

This structure should be interpreted as two corner lists: One with A as the header and B and C as the subordinate elements, and one with D as the header and E and F as the subordinate elements. The connection C-E is ignored (for the grouping of cells). So B/C/D/E would not be a circle in the mind* views: B/C would be one and E/F another.

The purpose is for example chronological stuff: A could be "January" and D "February," and B/C could be "January 1st" and "January 7th," and E/F "February 5th" and "February 12th." So you have a long chronological rank of days, and for nice grouping, a shorter chronological rank of months. When showing this in mind*, each month should become its own "wheel."

Benja: Would it be too bad to discriminate JNI tests with different
filename extension? As I recall, currently the extension is given already
in the makefile.

Hm, it would be possible, but wouldn't it be better to discriminate them based on the directory, as I proposed earlier? I mean, we want the platform-specific code to be in special directories anyway for clarity...

- Benja