gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] 9th (asko)

From: Asko Soukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] 9th (asko)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:13:58 +0300

Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Changes from 0.6: A terrible lot ;-)

Indeed.

> Your mind* views would be cool (and also, in related news, the
> ball-and-stick cell view). If you do re-implement them, please consider

Re-implementing mind* views means really complete rewriting. I want to
combine them into single class using the same single recursive routine. Then
I have to solve some problems occurred in the earlier versions (discussed
below). In my 0.6 ball-and-stick cell view is not actually "stick" anymore,
because of mine and Tuukka's line breaking hack :-) For ball-and-stick we
need also new circular vob (for the ball). Is RoundBgVob ok? Actually, I was
going to implement it already on Thursday, but then I got confused should I
make a new Circle shape class to handle it's data (and from where to inherit
it) or use Java's Rectangle or Ellipse2D.

> following Ted's rule that interpretation of a corner list should stop
> when another "left" connection is encountered:

When I did those views I "knew" the corner list structure, but didn't
understand why it should have been interpeted like that. I hope I do now and
try to follow that rule in the future.

There are also other problems in my old views, especially in the later
MindSun one. In the main circle's substructures (curves or something) cells
are not shown in their original order (from top to bottom), but the first
cell is in the middle, the first half of cells are next to it and the latest
half is shown before it. That only because transforming the curve into
circle looks then nicer O:-)

Also support for d.3 in both views is so artificial that I'll probably drop
it until better ideas. And what about long ranks? Mind views tried to show
as much as possible (finally limits were hard coded to avoid crashing with
history ranks in 0.6 :) AFAIK in 0.8 I need to start with building own
raster, which solves these range problems ...

> Hm, it would be possible, but wouldn't it be better to discriminate them
> based on the directory, as I proposed earlier?

So it seems, after all, but aren't all OpenGL stuff already in their own
subfolder test/gzz/gfx? Could we trust on that and simply skip it during
normal tests?

--
Asko Soukka     | Taitoniekantie 9 A 603 | address@hidden
+358-40-8235947 | FIN-40740 JYVÄSKYLÄ    | http://www.iki.fi/asko.soukka/