gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] PEG: vocab again

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] PEG: vocab again
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:05:41 +0300

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 03:51:49PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> >>When and how would conversion be done? When would it be unnecessary,
> >>and why? This is the issue here.
> >
> >In the scenario above it would be unnecessary; when real code starts
> >hitting the tree, the PEG has already been made.
> >
> >We could define "no code in the default code paths of a
> >stable release shall use EXPERIMENTAL URIs",
> >would that satisfy you?
>
> I thought this is a given. If it isn't, it should be defined. It does
> not resolve the issue, which is: When and how does data using
> EXPERIMENTAL URIs get converted?
>
> >The people using devel stuff can take care of converting.
>
> I am a person using devel stuff. Therefore, I want to know what this
> would inflict on me if it goes through.

Ok. Basically, the PEG should happen before any developer starts using
that URI in production data. Happy?

> >As to how, there are several options.
>
> This is not an answer.
>
> One possibility is to define that code using URIs from lava should
> *never be used* except for testing purposes-- anybody who ignores this
> must take of converting themselves. If you want to do that, you should
> explain which conventions prevent developers from using such code
> accidentally.

How about simply: any official non-lava code must not use
experimental URIs? It's actually implicit already: non-lava mustn't
depend on lava.

So the lava distinction covers this, I think.

> >>Where?
> >
> >     PP links (now dLinks) or xu links (now CLinks)
> >
> >This defines "dLink == PP link, CLink = xu link".
>
> Where do you say the concepts were renamed? The above implies that,
> but doesn't say it, nor give the reasons for it. That was the point.

The "now" says that. But this is now moot, since I've started the other PEG.

> >>That's not a datatype-- alph doesn't know datatypes, it could even
> >>parse a (malformed) int-datatype literal that contains the XML
> >>serialization of an enfilade.
> >>
> >>The old version of RDF distinguished string and XML literals; the
> >>new version, which has been in last call, will have an optional
> >>datatype URI associated with each literal, and one of these URIs
> >>will signify XML literals. See the specs at w3.org.
> >
> >Ok, what do you suggest?
>
> XML literal?

Fine, fixed.

> >>String, I think.
> >
> >Why? What is it needed for?
>
> Huh?
>
> "It should be clear what the URIs of the terms are." -- "Is a String
> inside FF sufficient for you?" -- "Yes." -- "Why? What is it needed
> for?"

Ok, in there now.

        Tuomas