h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] H5MD developer's guide

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] H5MD developer's guide
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:15:22 +0200

Am 27.09.2013, 09:33 Uhr, schrieb Olaf Lenz <address@hidden>:

I completely agree with Konrad. I think by far the best solution is to provide a reference implementation, ideally as a library, so that it can be used by others. We are currently working on implementing the vmd plugin for h5md, and this turns out complex on the one hand and incomplete on the other. From that Plugin, we will try to get a reference implementation for some aspects.

The has been a lot of discussion going on in the last days, and I haven't been able to follow all of it. Also, i do not want to read all of them now. Do we have a changelog or something? Or is it best to use the git log? Is the discussion section in the spec up to date?

Olaf

Unfortunately, the discussion section does only poorly reflect the current discussions. It mainly summarises items that were considered premature for version 1.

I think it would be worth to revive the discussion page. Discussions on the mailing list could become more efficient if the suggested changes would be accompanied by a section each in the discussion page. These sections would phrase precisely what is under debate and follow the style of the specification so that they could finally be moved to the spec (overall agreement provided). It further could prevent ideas from getting lost in the course of the mailing list discussions.

I have started with picking up an idea by Konrad for the storage of time-dependent data at fixed sampling rate.

Felix