Re: [Health-dev] Creating a local formulary / medicines product list for

From: Alvin Marcelo
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] Creating a local formulary / medicines product list for Tryton / GNU Health
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:50:48 +0800

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/rxnorm/overview.html

Conditions of use

You must have a UMLS Terminology Services (UTS) account to access the RxNorm release files. NLM does not charge for licensing RxNorm; however, the use of some non-SAB=RXNORM data may require additional licensing from those source providers. Read the UMLS Metathesaurus License Agreement for more information. Visit the UTS to sign up for an account.

RxNORM has non-proprietary and proprietary components.

When installing RxNORM make sure you do not include its proprietary components.

Although hospitals will have different medication lists, their underlying metamodel will be similar. For each drug they would have a name, strength, dose, form, active ingredient, etc. The drug codes area also not just for use by hospitals. They are used for registration, procurement, distribution, prescription, dispensing, clinical administration, and reporting of adverse events. The different use cases which demonstrate the lifecycle of medicines and its multi-sector domain makes for a good case for having a shared drug coding mechanism across the whole health sector...

My opinion is that a GNU Health installation that has preloaded RxNORM (non-proprietary) will be very powerful to the facility...

------
Alvin B. Marcelo
69:c3:58:b9:43:60:af:6b:96:d5:87:11:2a:6d:28:01