Re: [Health-dev] DevOps

From: Marc Murray
Subject: Re: [Health-dev] DevOps
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 18:18:20 -0500

Hi Carlos and Everyone,

In my work, I have to manage (now) 6 production instances of GNU Health and 4 demo/test instances. All this is happening while we're still doing development on new modules and doing maintenance and bug-fixes on the stuff that's in production. The best part is, we have an EXTREMELY small team handling the technical details (installation, backup, upgrade etc).

While all this is happening, we have other stakeholders making plans to roll out new instances in other locations and those new instances need to be managed and updated like all the others.

This is how we do it:
Backups are done using rsync and barman[2].

So, while I've never used Vagrant, I can understand your desire to have "infrastructure as code". What I have laid out above, if you follow our use of pip, you should be able to reliably control updates to specific modules from within your vagrant scripts.

The reasoning behind using different virtualenv for different version, is to allow for an easy rollback if the upgrade fails at the database upgrade stage. If that happens, we restore the database that was backed-up before upgrade and just start trytond from the old virtualenv while we go off to figure out the issue on a non-production machine. This way, we have had very little down-time.

I hope this helps.

[1] Our internal PyPI server is an installation of localshop - https://pypi.python.org/pypi/localshop
[2] Barman is an awesome tool for postgresql backups - http://www.pgbarman.org/

---