Re: Editfiles Considered Harmful (was: Re: Complex Editfiles Examples)

From: Alexander Jolk
Subject: Re: Editfiles Considered Harmful (was: Re: Complex Editfiles Examples)
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:09:55 +0100

Eric Sorenson wrote:
> Seriously though, I would like to hear any criticism or feedback on the
> above -- if there's something that just doesn't fit into this model, or
> maybe some loon^H^H^H^Hfine person who feels as strongly Pro-editfiles as I do
> Anti-, I'd welcome the dialog.

Very reasonable arguments that you are citing.  I have one argument
*for* editfiles: it makes it very easy to see what has been changed.
Instead of having a long config file in CVS, which is almost identical
to the `factory-supplied' one, I can have just two lines detailing what
I change.  But as you say, this only holds if I can be sure of the
file's previous contents, so my point might be moot.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29