Re: Bootstrapping

From: John Sechrest
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:49:50 -0800

Tim Nelson <sysadmin@sunet.com.au> writes:

 %      Just so we're all on the same wavelength, it seems to me that Nate
 % is talking about a cfengine-based distribution.  Since we're not likely to
 % get a large number of people working on it, we're best off basing it on
 % another like Debian or Fedora.  I guess I'd just like to see cfperl used
 % as well, because I often find myself needing the "users" section :).

 Yes. A nice debian distribution, with CFengine built in, with
 the "roles" of all the different types of machines, preprogramed,
 so that you can walk up to a machine, boot it, and then poof it is
 running it's role.

 We are working on it, using User Mode Linux as a way to blow out
 the test networks. We are using debian. It sure would be nice if
 cfengine were part of debian a bit tighter.

 I think we are on the same page.

 % >  This brings up many questions for me...
 % >
 % >  A) Why would this not work as a component of the CFengine work that
 % >     is already going on?
 % >
 % >  B) Why would it need to be a seperate project?
 % >
 % >  C) Do you care that there already is an ongoing project working
 % >     on the same issue? (We got our sourceforge project approved recently)

 %      Where's that?

 Just got it so it is empty, but it is mln.sourceforge.net

 A side part of this project will be a cfengine based rule set
 aiming in the same direction that Nate is talking about.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .