Re: Bootstrapping

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:16:25 -0600

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:16:12AM -0800, Nate Campi wrote:
> I've had a situation where my debian sid boxes have an incompatible NSS
> functionality in glibc, and my static binaries from woody won't work. I
> don't test against sid before deploying, because frankly this is only a
> couple test systems (workstations basically). cfagent would seg fault on
> me. I think cfexecd told me about it, or the syslog reports did, or
> something. If cfexecd was segfaulting too, I might not have known for a
> long time.
>
> The most reliable method I can think of is to wrap cfagent with a
> rudimentary script that sends error output via an SNMP trap or some
> other alert mechanism. This should at least protect against a complete
> meltdown in cfengine. Seems like it's asking for trouble to rely on
> cfengine to tell you of troubles with cfengine (unless you used a
> permanently connected socket between client and central server to
> monitor error output - if the client sends errors or even just drops you
> know something happened, I don't want this setup though).

My configurations run cfexecd from inittab and in cron, and were
cfexecd segfaulting or otherwise non-executable, I'd get syslog errors
from init about it respawning too fast.

The cfexecd in inittab ensures cron is running, and the cfexecd run
from cron kills the cfexecd from init once an hour to ensure it gets
refreshed.

Just my $0.02.

Russell