Re: Bootstrapping

From: John Sechrest
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:27:57 -0800

"Luke A. Kanies" <luke@madstop.com> writes:

 % >  IE, some kind of derived class membership?

 % I converted my last client from using ISconf to using cfengine for host
 % classification.  Host classes where a heirarchy.  Here is a short example
 % heirarchy:

 % groups:
 %   base = ( all )
 %   solaris = ( base )
 %   hpux = ( base )
 %   # now we get to hostnames
 %   krypton = ( web_server dns_server )
 %   minnow = ( db_server )

 % Yes, I could build an equivalent logic system outside of cfengine, but why
 % would I?

 % To some extent, I could see sharing my definition of different types of
 % servers -- a web server installs apache and does blah, stuff like that.
 % But I'd like to see more about how you're doing this, because I consider
 % this to be a very difficult problem.

 I have a module which does host->role mapping and role -> package
 mapping.

 Right now they are files, but I expect them to be in ldap at some
 point.

 In the file, I drive roles:

 name         role
 host1        web
 host2        mysql
 host3        sysadm

 I have started looking at other roles like:

 host1        base
 host2        testhost
 host3        iampolicyhost

 This just ense up setting classes. and setting variables.

 one of the variables it ends up setting is the list
 of packages to install from the roles-> packages mapping

 role     package
 ldap     slapd
 ldap     ldap-util
 ldap     migrationtools
 mysql    mysql-server

 This does not represent the hierarchy that you are doing.
 And it is not as easy, but since I am considering it as an
 ldap service, I don't mind many lines.

 However, I am simplifying my world by sticking to the debian
 space at the moment. Although it looks like it will be worth
 my while to approach a fedora solution, if I want to get lustre
 up easily.

 In any case, the process is one of a single level, with enumeration.
 But I hope that my roles are only the toplevel abstraction.

 I have failed in that, because my roles-> packages is debian centric.
 I need to have multiple parameters to this function to
 include both role + OS, so that I can derive OS specific packages.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .