can't tag module w/ PCL-CVS in Emacs 21.2

From: Richard V. Molen
Subject: can't tag module w/ PCL-CVS in Emacs 21.2
Date: 18 Oct 2002 12:14:53 -0700

I am unable to tag a release using Emacs 21.2.1 PCL-CVS buffer using
the 't' command.  I've also tried to do this using a C-x v s (version
control snapshot) w/o success.

The PCL-CVS documentation suggests that it is a replacement for the VC
frontend (when using CVS).  This leads me to three questions:

1. What must I do to get the PCL-CVS *cvs* buffer's 't' command to tag
   a 'snapshot'?  Below are the details.

2. Does it make sense to use the VC front-end instead of PCL-CVS
   some/most of the time when working with a CVS backend?

3. Are there any plans to merge the two frontends?

-
|cvs-force-dir-tag's value is t
|
|Documentation:
|*If non-nil, tagging can only be applied to directories.
|Tagging should generally be applied a directory at a time,...
-

pressing 't' in  *cvs* after mouse-clicking on this spot...

...............v
In directory .:

...here in the buffer presents this in the minibuffer...
Tag name:'
...adding a dummy tag name 'dumbd4' thus...

Tag name: dumbd4 <ret>

...yields an updated *cvs* buffer thus...

Repository : :server:user@hostname:/no/place/like/home/cvs
Module     : vendor/app
Working dir: c:/wrk/app/

In directory .:
              Up-To-Date  1.4         a.bat
.
.
.
              Up-To-Date  1.1.1.2     file.txt

--------------------- End ---------------------
-- last cmd: cvs -f tag dumbd4 . --

...showing that the cvs command was supposedly sent.
However, placing cursor on 'file.txt' then pressing '+'
to view tag tree shows only prior tags done outside Emacs.
In fact, doing it at a bash prompt thus...

$ cvs tag dumbcvs1

...then viewing the tag tree for file.txt shows that tagging
via the bash prompt works...

   Existing Tags:
   `---+-    1.1.1: IMPORT_TAG
       +---  1.1.1.1: OTHER_TAG
       `---  1.1.1.2: PRIOR_BASH_PROMPT_TAG
                      dumbcvs1

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.