Re: unicode files created with windows notepad

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: unicode files created with windows notepad
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:16:12 -0700

David Ellis wrote:
I am trying to edit a unicode file created with Windows NotePad.

What encoding method should I use?

I have tried the following
    utf-16-le
    utf-16-le-dos
    mule-utf-16-le-dos

I am trying to read an xml file. I have the psgml-1.2.5 package installed.

When I open the file with any of the above encoding, I either get an error when the psgml package loads or an error when I try to save the file.

My crystal ball is at the shop, getting buffed.  Perhaps you could set
debug-on-error and post the resulting *Backtrace* buffers.

If I save the same file with UTF-8 encoding in NotePad and open it with emacs with UTF-8 encoding, I have no problems. So, it appears that I do not have the correct encoding when I am trying to read the unicode file.

Anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps it is an issue with the presence or absence of the Byte Order
Mark.  Does the UTF-16-LE file written by NotePad include a BOM, and
is it correct (FF FE)?  If so, there could be a bug in Emacs and/or
PSGML.

--
Kevin Rodgers