Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:11:01 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:18:48 +0100
From: LENNART BORGMAN <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

To be sure on what I am doing I then went to the host for the queue to find the
share name instead of the queue name:

   c:\> copy file.txt \\host-name\share-name

This swallowed the job but I get no output and nothing is shown in the printer queue (where I normally see all waiting jobs).

You can use the "net use" command to arrange for some port, like LPT2,
to redirect its output to this printer.  (I think this is explained in
the Emacs manual.)  Then all you need to do to print is to set
printer-name to "LPT2",
I will try, but is there any technical reason to assume that this works differently? I guess I can then do

  copy file.txt lpt2:

or should not this work too?

Also, when accessing the printer on this level, as Iliya said, there might be some problems. It was a long time ago I looked into this more in details, but what about the reset of the printer for example? Can we be sure this is done here? I am sure I have seen problems with this before, but I forgotten exactly under which circumstances. (It might not be under MS Windows.)

Does someone has a good link to an overview of the printer reset, entry points to the printer queue etc on MS Windows?