Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:30:26 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I will try, but is there any technical reason to assume that this works differently?

I don't know, it's hard to tell without taking a good look at how your
printers are configured on that specific system.
As you know I am using for a general solution. I can personally get around this problem in a number of ways.

I guess I can then do

  copy file.txt lpt2

or should not this work too?

It should.
Thanks.

It was a long time ago I looked into this more in details, but what
about the reset of the printer for example?

What ``reset of the printer''? what does that have to do with this
thread?  We were talking about printing text; by contrast, Reset is a
command that you send via some kind of managerial interface that has
nothing to do with Emacs or its way to send text to the printer.
Please don't make a mistake of taking Ilya's deliberations seriously.
I have seen setups where the networked printer was left in some PostScript mode after printing. What I was trying to say was that I do not know if you bypass the part of the printer setup that resets it (from for example PostScript mode) when you access it the way above. But I can surely imagine that the ability to do such setups was a bug that is gone now. However I do not know the state of this today. That is what I am asking about.

It may seem crazy, but I have seen it happen and have had a lot of trouble with it. IMO this type of bad design happens because those responsible does not understand or does not know all the possibilities.