Re: lazy-lock vs. jit-lock

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: lazy-lock vs. jit-lock
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:10:29 +0100

Am 29.12.2005 um 08:03 schrieb Ian Zimmerman:

Can anyone comment on the relative advantages of these kinds of
font-locking?  jit-lock seems to be the default in Emacs 21.4, but I
fount that in some buffers (not necessarily large ones) whole chunks are
left unfontified.  Waiting for them to be "stealthily" fontified also
doesn't help; only font-lock-fontify-buffer does.

jit means just in time -- since modern CPUs are so fast, jit-lock is too slow. I think that's jit-lock's story: being helpful on slow computers. I seem to remember that it was recommended not to use jit-lock any more because it could be removed some day. (I too switched off jit-lock some months or years ago.)

--
Greetings

  Pete      <\