Re: info-lookup-symbol

From: Rehceb Rotkiv
Subject: Re: info-lookup-symbol
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:05:40 -0500

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:57:02 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> That's the reason, yes.  The ones with <N> appear before the one without
> because this is how disambiguation of identical index entries is
> implemented in Texinfo; I will ask the Texinfo maintainer to change
> that.

Yes, that would be a start.

> But the _real_ fix is to complain to the authors of the Python manual:

Then I would have to complain to a whole lot of authors, as identical
indices seem to be common practice! On a quick look, I also found them in
the Elisp and Bashref manuals. I suppose that others do it similarly.
However this is handled, it would be useful to have a function in info-
lookup-symbol that jumps to the next matching index (similar to "," in
"i" = Info-index), because often there are multiple relevant entries for
one symbol, like e.g. "some_item (definition)" and "some_item (syntax)",
that one would typically want to consult successively.

> You can switch to the *info* buffer and type "i break TAB".
>
> This is set up either in info-look.el or in the language-specific mode
> package.  In this case, see python-after-info-look in python.el.

Thanks for the info! For now, I will use the very handy "i break TAB"

Regards,
Rehceb