Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:19:14 +0200

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

>> Aha. OK. You are talking about localised lisp? Maybe I got lost here.
>
> What else?  This is what emacs is.

This is not the point. "Localised" can substitute all hard coded "texts"
with a call to a translation routine to provide the localised
translation.

>>> Nowadays, with the Internet and the worldwide job market, it's just
>>> impossible to translate a programming language.  And this is what
>>> emacs is.
>>
>> No. That is NOT what emacs is. eLisp is the programming language. Emacs
>> is an infrastructure which supports multiple applications programmed in
>> elisp. They can be localised.
>
> Look, if you asked to localize microemacs or nano, I'd say, no problem
> go ahead.  But emacs is lisp.

We are talking the command names interfaces and help texts - not the
function names. e.g you dont see "find-file-at-point" in the
menu. No. You find "Open File" or similar.