Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:40:05 +0530

Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> I run Gnus v5.10.6 under Emacs 21.3.1 under Windows XP (alas).
> Because Verizon has truncated its service, I recently signed on to a
> latitudinarian news server (Motzarella).  I find that four of the
> newsgroups I want to read come up with backlogs on the order of 30
> million postings.  When I try to do catchup (C) on one of them, it
> stalls & eventually gives an out-of-memory message.  (The first time,
> when I let it try for a longish time, it ended up giving interminable
> beeps & hanging both Emacs and Windows; I had to do a hardware
> shutdown.)
>
> What does one do in such a situation?  I see nothing about it in info
> or Google or the Gnus FAQ.

[...]

I think I had the same problem with the same free news server
account.  I don't remember exactly what I did to solve it. :(
I believe, after subscribing to comp.text.tex and comp.shell, in the
Group Buffer, I entered the group as C-u 50 RET and did a catch up
within it with a 'c'.  then quit  it and configure the Group Parameter
for that the NG.

And I'm not sure whether I set the Group Parameters (G P) to the
following BEFORE I entered the group or not.

((display . 150))

And I'm not even sure whether the above has any effect for the first
time entry.

Damn it.  This whole post of mine doesn't seem useful at all with all
the caveats.

 sivaram